タグ: 琉球王国 沖縄戦 ペリー 沖縄県 那覇市


Tomari Port and Nearby Historical Sites
Tomari Port prospered in the 13-14th centuries as a port of the Kingdom of the Ryukyus. The development of Naha Port, however, meant that it gradually took over the functions of Tomari as the primary gateway to the Kingdom.
When vessels form England, France, the United States, Russia and other Western nations began to visit the Ryukyus in the 19th Century, the Royal Government designated the offshore areas of Tomari for their anchorage. Tomari thus became the landing point for foreigners, making a comeback on the historical scene.
The Tomari area has many historical sites marking the exchanges with Western nations; French missionaries' place of sojourn; the international cemetery; and the landing site of Commodore Perry.

1. Former Site of Tomari Daise
In the days of the Kingdom of the Ryukyus, the shoals in front of Sengenji Temple was called Tomari Daise. It once served as the landing point for foreign visitors. In 1853, Commodore Perry's party also landed here, taking their first steps in the Ryukyus.
The area is reclaimed today so the shoals of Tomari Daise no longer exist. In 1964, a memorial was erected with the cooperation of the U.S. Forces in Okinawa to mark Commodore Perry's landing site inside the International Cemetery, located near the former shoal.

2. Former International Cemetery
Used since the days of Kingdom of the Ryukyus, the cemetery is exclusively for foreigners.
There are currently some 300 graves within the premises. Twenty-one date back to the days of the Kingdom of the Ryukyus (1718-1854): six Chinese, ten Americans, one British, one French, one Swedish, and two of unknown origins. Among them are Adnet, a French missionary, and crew members of Perry's fleet.
The Kingdom of the Ryukyus signed treaties with the U.S. (1854), France (1855) and the Netherlands (1859) which contained provisions on the protection of the cemetery.

3. Ameku-gu Shrine and Seigenji Temple
Ameku-gu is one of the eight major shrines in Okinawa. Seigenji, located next to Ameku-gu, was a Buddhist temple of the Rinzai sect, which later converted the Shingon sect in 1671. Both structures were originally built in the late 15th Century but were burned down during the Battle of Okinawa in 1945. Seigenji was reconstructed in 1958, and Ameku-gu in 1972.
As foreign vessels began to visit the Ryukyus in the 19th Century, Seigenji served as the site where foreigners met with the Kingdom's officials due to its proximity to Tomari Daise, the foreign landing point. French missionaries stayed at Seigenji for approximately four years starting in 1844. Commodore Perry and his party built a small coaling station storing fuel and ammunition near Seigenji, and used the temple as their rest area.

4. Tomari Takahashi Bridge
Built over the estuary of Asato River, the Tomari Takahashi Bridge connected Tomari village and Tomari Kaneku. The year of original construction is unknown. It was rebuilt with stone in 1700 (according to the Tomari Takahashi monument).
Renown as a beautiful bridge, Tomari Takahashi was rebuilt using concrete in 1934, but was destroyed during the Battle of Okinawa in 1945.
Tomari Takahashi appears repeatedly in "Tumai Aka," a celebrated Okinawan operetta. The monument at the northern end of the bridge is inscribed with a Ryukyuan poem to Tomari Takahashi.

5. Former Site of the Katabaru Tidal Flat
The tideland and the surrounding landmass between Tomari and Naha were called Katabaru. The communities of Maejima and Kaneku developed in this area when the first Katabaru salt farms were created in 1694.
Equestrian competitions and gunnery training were conducted on land early on. In the Meiji period, the area was used for various events including the goodwill baseball game between the U.S. seamen and the local junior high school students, demonstration flights of propeller planes, and schools' sports day events.

琉球王国 の中心であった浦添や首里と陸続きの泊港は、安里川の河口に位置し陸路・水路とも交通の便が良かったため、13~14世紀にかけ宮古・八重山・奄美大島などの船も出入りし、賑わいを見せた港であった。当時泊には、諸島の事務を取り扱う「泊御殿(トゥマイウドゥン)」や貢ぎ物を収納する「大島倉」が置かれていた。しかし、その後の海外交易の発展にともない、那覇港が王国の表玄関として整備されたことにより、泊港の機能も那覇港に移っていった。
現在泊港付近には、フランス人宣教師滞在地、外人墓地、ペリー 提督上陸地など欧米諸国との交流を示す史跡が残っている。

泊台瀬は琉球王国 時代、聖現寺の前に広がっていた浅瀬のこと。泊港沖を投錨地と定められた外国船の乗組員等はボートで泊台瀬に上陸した。特に、1853年に来貢したペリー 提督一行は泊台瀬上陸後、付近に石炭、武器弾薬等の貯蔵施設を設けた。

琉球王国 時代から使用されている外国人専用の墓地。俗に「ウランダ墓」(欧米人墓)と呼ばれた。元は琉球に漂着して死亡した中国人を葬っていたが(1718年の墓が最古)、1816年に来航したイギリス船(艦長バジルホール)の乗組員を同地に葬って以来、欧米人も葬られるようになった。
なお、琉球王国 とアメリカ(1854年)、フランス(1855年)、オランダ(1859年)との間に結ばれた条約では、墓地の保護なども定められていた。

聖現寺は天久宮同様15世紀後半の創建。「天久の寺」とも呼ばれ、臨済宗の寺であったが、1671年真言宗に改められた。寺域(現泊高等学校敷地)は、昭和戦前期には二千坪余りを有していた(『島尻郡誌』)。1945年の沖縄戦 で天久宮・聖現寺とも焼失。1958年聖現寺、1972年天久宮がそれぞれ現在地に移転、再建された。
なお、19世紀以降、外国船の来航に伴い、泊台瀬(外国人上陸地)に程近い聖現寺は、外国人との会見場となった。特に1844年から約4年間フランス人宣教師等が聖現寺に滞在し、またペリー 提督一行も寺近くに石炭・武器弾薬等の貯蔵庫を設け、聖現寺を休息所とした。

泊高橋は琉球王国 時代、安里川河口に架けられた橋で、泊村と対岸の泊兼久(かねく)を結んでいた。橋の創建年は不明だが、元は木橋であったものを、1700年に石橋に改修した(「泊高橋碑」)。その際、橋の下を船が往来できるようにアーチを高くしたことにより、泊高橋と名付けられたという。
名橋といわれた泊高橋は、那覇と沖縄本島中・北部を結ぶ交通の要衝でもあり、橋付近には公営の市場も設けられた。1934年その石橋が撤去され、新たにコンクリートの橋に架け替えられたが、1945年の沖縄戦 により破壊された。

琉球王国 時代、泉崎村の塩浜芝香(しこう)が鹿児島の人から製塩法を学び、1694年潟原で入浜式の塩田を始めた。その後、製塩業者が増え、潟原の一部に泊前島・泊兼久といった集落が形成された。


2017-04-04 22:00 (3889)
2017-04-04 21:59 (1950)


gotosheng gotosheng 約5年


gotosheng gotosheng 約5年



0 footprints lefted here.




gotosheng (2017/03/31)
タグ: 沖縄県 那覇市
gotosheng (2017/04/04)
タグ: ペリー 沖縄県 那覇市
gotosheng (2016/07/11)
タグ: 沖縄戦 冊封使 沖縄県 那覇市
genjitsu_ (2018/03/08)
タグ: ocr-generated 沖縄県 那覇市